I have to publicly admit . . . the concept of grounding was not something that I took seriously at the beginning of my journey to Energy Medicine. I used to think it sounded so “airy-fairy” and thought of it more from a psychological standpoint than from a physiological standpoint. I guess I thought it was very non-tangible. I mean how do you really know if you’re grounded or not? Can you feel the difference between when you’re grounded and when you’re not? Most people can’t and therefore it’s not something that they concern themselves with. If you had terrible headaches and you ran across an article that gave you the secret way to relieve those headaches you would pay attention. But if you’re unaware of whether or not you’re grounded, then why even pay attention to this concept?
Why is Grounding Important?
Well, let me try to explain why EVERYBODY needs to pay attention. Every “human being” is an “electrical being” and needs to be properly grounded in order to properly function. Now I get that this statement is hard to swallow or understand when you’ve never been taught that you are actually made of energy. Believe me when I tell you that science (the way you have known and understood it) is changing rapidly and this concept of electrical beings needing grounding is very important.
Much research has been conducted that demonstrates that direct contact with the Earth restores and stabilizes the bioelectrical circuitry that governs our physiology and organs, recharges and thins our blood, enhances our immune function, and powerfully and quickly knocks down inflammation and pain. Wow, imagine a pill that could do all that? How much would you pay for it?? The truth is that you don’t have to pay anything for it because it’s readily available from the Earth itself. Just being connected (touching) the earth gives us all these benefits.
We all know that the earth has magnet poles (a north and a south pole) right? Did you know that your body also has the same magnetic poles?
Having our bare feet on the ground literally “charges” our system with vital energies. Not only does this connection to the earth allow us to “suck up” fresh new energy, but it also allows us to expel dirty or toxic energies that we may have picked up. When this connection is not solid, we are not getting enough new energy, nor are we able to get rid of used energy. Just like our breath . . . we inhale and we exhale . . . likewise, we must intake energy and release energy. In order to do this efficiently, we must have a good connection to the earth.
One of the biggest reasons that my clients suffer from chronic fatigue and exhaustion is this lack of grounding. It is always the first thing that I check. Are they able to pull fresh new energy into their bodies? In today’s culture of wearing rubber-soled shoes (which prevent the natural grounding process) and not spending enough time outdoors in nature, sitting on the grass, hands in the dirt, touching trees and the ground we are losing our connection to the Earth, to our source of energy.
Some signs that you may not be grounded
- Lacking energy, drained, or wake up feeling exhausted
- Feeling anxious
- Feeling spacey or lightheaded & easily overwhelmed
- General discomfort
- Have trouble listening or focusing, lose your train of thought, and constantly multi-tasking
- Having trouble balancing
- Too easily picking up other’s energy – extra emotional, or sensitive to the emotions of the people around you
Some benefits of grounding
This graphic came from Earthing.com. They sell an assortment of products to help you get and stay grounded inside of your home. Let’s face it, it’s not always easy to get outside, especially barefoot every day. I personally sleep on a grounding mattress pad and instantly could see a difference in how I slept and felt.
Please take some time to discover more about this concept of grounding. If you can’t make an effort to get outside every day, with a very small investment in some of the products (and no extra effort on your part), you may be able to significantly increase your health. Please know that I am not at all affiliated with Earthing.com and have nothing to gain from the sale of their products. This is something that I feel very strongly about and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it’s crucially important to our health.
Some alternative free and easy ways to ground
- Rub a stainless steel spoon on the soles of your feet.
- Tapping on your cheekbones (directly under your eyes) while taking three deep breaths.
- Open foot chakras by pushing and stretching the heel away from the ball. Also squeeze sides of feet.
- Open hand chakras by rubbing the thumbs on the palms and then pulling the energies off each finger.
- Move hands over eyes and down the front of the body to the hips (in the field about 6″ from the body).
- Press fingers firmly into arm creases for a few minutes.
- Walk barefoot in the grass.
- Sit or stand with your back up against a big healthy tree.
- Wear or carry a dark or red crystal. Some good grounding stones include black tourmaline, bloodstone, hematite, jasper, obsidian, shungite, and tigers eye. Please know that if you own and use crystals it is very important to take good care of them.
You can learn more about Earthing here.
Watch a short video trailer below.